My Daughter Likes Us To Wear Matching Clothes

in My Daughter

My daughter likes us to match.

NandImatching

N insisted we both wear blue-stripped dresses I SWEAR.

She gets visibly upset and considering change her clothes when she learns that I do not also own an ice cream cone shirt or a pink tutu.

Noutfit

I don't even have the hat.

Nfashionoutfit2

A girl can never have too many tutus. But a mom can. TRUST ME.

While I both love how much she looks up to me and find it unnerving to be the center of her fashionable and impressionable world, I turned an awkward corner a few weeks ago.

Scott calls: What size are you?

Me: What? Why?

Scott: N and I found matching dresses. Well, for you and her. They are on super sale so can I get them?

Me: Um, sure.

See what I did? I BOUGHT A MATCHING DRESS WITH MY 3-YEAR-OLD.

I didn’t try it on at first, but N came home in hers and looked adorable. I glanced at my version from time-to-time and I even reminded my daughter of our TOTALLY MATCHING DRESSES and she shrugged. Secretly, I was relieved, but finally last night I tried it on. It fits, but I couldn’t bring myself to wear it. I already want to wear a sign:

DaughterMadeMeMatchHer

A My Daughter Made Me Match Her sign would save me a lot of talking some days.

Although if the dresses lead to this, it’s probably worth it.

PS. But seriously, the exact same dress means we can’t leave the house, right?

Kimberly June 10, 2012 1

And just one more reason why I love having a son.
Although for some strange star alignment we do end up wearing coordinating colours. I won’t notice it until a stranger says “Hey are you going to get family photos today? Great coordination”…so then I feel like an asshole.

Jim W. June 11, 2012 2

It’s a pretty cute dress regardless. Just hope that your daughter’s taste stays just as kickass, or you could be in for a looooong day at the office in your Dora t-shirt.

Megan (Best of Fates) June 11, 2012 3

Um, you two look adorable. You can totally go out like that. Though I also challenge your assertion of the possibility of owning too many tutus.

No such thing.

Katie June 11, 2012 4

I think the dress N picked for you is cute. Does that mean I’ve lost my mind? Because I totally see cute.

Kristin June 11, 2012 5

Right.
My girls match each other. I’m off the hook.

Skye June 11, 2012 6

You guys look ADORABLE! I would only be embarrassed to leave the house if the matching outfits were ice cream cone shirts. The dresses are definitely acceptable. And I agree with Megan that you shouldn’t dis tutus for grown-ups.

Linda June 11, 2012 7

I loved wearing matching dresses when my daughter was small. But we only had one set. And I picked it out. The dresses don’t fit either of us anymore.

I think the sign is a nice idea, though.

tracy@sellabitmum June 11, 2012 8

Awww, that is so sweet! I dressed my oldest two daughters alike EVERYDAY for four years. Now I look back at those pictures and apologize to my children. lol

Kate June 11, 2012 9

We have a match rule. Only pjs can match.

But for silly fun, it might be worth it…

Leigh Ann June 11, 2012 10

Coordinated? Adorable. Exact same? That might veer into over the top. Because as cute as my kids’ clothes are, I can’t imagine them looking good on a 30 something year old woman.

And you don’t have an ice cream shirt? What’s wrong with you?

erin margolin June 11, 2012 11

you two are so stinkin’ cute. i can’t stand it.
my twins and i own one matching thing…i think it’s fine and fun one in a while…just not all the time.
;-)

Tracie June 11, 2012 12

Y’all look cute.

My daughter is eight, and she would still love to match me all the time. But we have never actually bought matching dresses, probably only because she has never seen them in the store. She has to accept the occasional coordinating colors.

snuffleupagus June 11, 2012 13

I knew a lady who sewed matching outfits for her and her daughter. It was the 80′s so they were hideous and she did this willingly and AT PLACES SHE KNEW PEOPLE WOULD TAKE PICTURES!!!!!!!

Abby June 11, 2012 14

I think it’s totally adorable! Now, if it were you and Scott in matching dresses, I might wonder…

Walt June 12, 2012 15

Scott and E need striped shirts to match.

Mandy June 11, 2012 16

Personally, I think you two look adorable.

I just dyed my hair red because Elizabeth wanted to have the same hair so badly. She’d hold up a lock of my hair and frown. I’m assuming it was over the color rather than the split ends. Though now that I think of it…

I keep meaning to find something somewhat matchy, but I really don’t look good in tutus.

Rachel June 11, 2012 17

How cute!!

But, reminds me why I’m glad I have only boys. On occasion, we coordinate, but obviously, we can’t match exactly!!

Though, if I had a daughter, I think it might be fun to run around the house/backyard and have like that!!

Adrienne June 11, 2012 18

You two are too gorgeous for people NOT to stare when you go out no matter what you wear. I know I would. I might also try to take N home with me.

Oh, and does she have another pair of Crocs? Because Carter says they’re best when you wear a different color on each foot, and you know what a fashion maven HE is.

Walt June 12, 2012 19

Years ago I got to be an honorary bridesmaid. They needed a male opinion and I can hold hangered dress for a long, long time. We settled on a royal blue palate and they got me a matching shirt. Sooooo….S and E need striped shirts. Raising a daughter has many challenges. I did not know that the diaper bag needed to match the outfit. As thing have progressed we have a new family phrase. “Suffer for fashion”. It’s really the truth. I am constantly amazed at the pain women go through to wear things.

Alex @ Before The Baby Wakes June 12, 2012 20

Cute! I guess you better invest in some tutus huh? Also you look really pretty in that first photo.