Quick! Somebody Do Something Awkward

in Awkward

As most of you know, I wrote for Ford Motor Company last month, and while the post went well, I did something mortifying when I sent the copy to my editor.

The topic of the piece was Ford’s new electric car called the Ford Focus. Except I called it the Ford Fusion FOR THE ENTIRE ARTICLE.

I was so embarrassed when the PR firm pointed it out that I could hardly tell Scott let alone admit it to anyone else.

Instead I updated my Facebook page with:

Quick! Somebody do something really awkward to make me feel better about myself.

And y’all came through for me (I protected people’s anonymity because I once got mad at someone for not protecting mine in a FB comment, which looking back was perhaps me being a teeny bit oversensitive.)

DoSomethingAwkwardToo

(If you have trouble reading the snapshot, click here for the original FB post.)

Thank you for being as awkward as me here and on Facebook even though the particular personal awkwardness that inspired the awkward coming-together seems much less awkward a month later.  In fact, I’m inspired to add an awkward moment to our repertoire…

I had an unexpected job interview last week, and when I went to call the person afterwards to mention something I had left out, I realized that my butt had dialed her cell phone a few minutes beforehand which promoted my voicemail to go something like this:

Hi. First of all, my butt dialed you earlier today and I’m so sorry about that. My butt is clearly not dialing you now though since I’m talking and um, I’m sorry about the first one and the reason I’m calling for real this time is …

At least she’ll know what she’s getting into if I’m hired.

Team awkward unite!

Life As Wife May 23, 2012 1

You are comedic gold my dear – you and your awkward butt dialing!

Chara May 23, 2012 2

Hahahaha! Those are awesome! The underwear with termite guy and asking the dr. out before the colonoscopy were particularly awkwardly funny. And your situation only proves you are human. I hope you take time to look back from your blog beginning to now and see how proud you should be of yourself!

Alexandra May 23, 2012 3

I feel your pain, b/c daily, these are my shoes.

xo

tracy@sellabitmum May 23, 2012 4

Oh this is my life. Thank you for leading our team!

Skye May 23, 2012 5

I love other people’s awkward stories! They make me feel better, too. This one is amazing and my friends still make fun of me for it 3 years later. I was going to dinner with my friend A and we walked into a basement restaurant, but we couldn’t tell whether the door we came in was the front door or a side door. We stood near a hostess stand for a minute without being approached when I decided to walk up to an employee, point to the door and say, “We came from there. How do we eat?” He stared at me because… it turns out that was the front door! We got seated in the very back, far from all other customers. To this day I hope he thought I was high (which I wasn’t)- I can’t think of another reasonable explanation for someone walking into a restaurant and asking how to eat!

Late Enough May 23, 2012 6

HAHAHAHA. I’m so saying “We came from there. How do we eat?” at a restaurant one day. Then I’ll high five myself.

Skye May 24, 2012 7

Why didn’t I think to high-five myself?!

Ginny May 23, 2012 8

Lol! Life should not be so serious that we cannot laugh at ourselves!

K May 23, 2012 9

Holy snakes I’m laughing at ALL of this.

Anne at Always Half Full May 23, 2012 10

You are in great company my dear. Just this week I called the doctor’s office to ask a question and had them change my 7 week old’s birthday because somehow they had the wrong birth date. With a little bit better sleep last night I realized that they in fact had the correct birth date and I made them change it to the wrong one. Calling today to schedule her next appointment, I had to admit to my ghastly mistake. Mother of the Year award goes right here. Holy crap!

Late Enough May 23, 2012 11

OMG I just laughed so hard at this. Because I could totally see myself do it and I know your doctor.

Katie May 23, 2012 12

the minute I leave this house, I am awkward.

oh who am i fooling? i’m even awkward in my sleep.

Walt May 24, 2012 13

This happened years ago but qualifies. My newlywed Bride had a habit of unconsciously getting the mail in her undies and t shirt. I’m pretty sure she was sleep walking. I told her to stop because the mexican guys across the street were getting an eyeful. I decide to take matters into my own hands and get the mail one morning. Our box is right there at the end of our driveway. I stand staring at the scene. Across the street, the guys have lined up lawn chairs (maybe five or six) wilh beer coolers as end tables. AWKWARD MOMENT: Me standing in my BVD’s staring at them staring at me. Tick,tick,tick. First guy who blinks loses. They never came out again.

kalisa May 25, 2012 14

So nice to be part of the club! Signed, Toothpaste Girl.