Musical Cursing

in Awkward, My Family, Pets

I love the song “The Name Game.” I think it’s the really deep poet in me.

Let’s sing a little refresher:

Alex, alex bobo-balex,
Banana-nana fo-falex
Fee-fi-mo-malex
Alex!

Since I have a small goal of my life turning into a musical, I’ve sung “The Name Game” to my kids for years. It’s an easy way to see if groups of people will begin a choreographed dance behind me while my kids and I snap and sashay.

This particular song means a variety of people get made into musical numbers. People like my cats.

Until I realized our newest cats are names Huckle and Nugget. Because those songs go something like this (please sing aloud for the full effect but not with your kids within earshot like I do over and over):

Huckle, Huckle, bobo-buckle, (still good)
Banana-nana fo-fuckle (oops)
Fee-fi-mo-muckle
Huckle!

Crap. So I quickly moved on to her buddy, Nugget.

Nugget, Nugget bo-bugget,
Banana-nana fo-fugget (it you’re singing you’ll know what I mean)
Fee-fi-mo-mugget
Nugget!

How my kids knew to name their cats after curse words, I am unsure and mostly impressed. I can only surmise there is a cursing gene since my favorite pastime as a second grader was trying to get my best friend to repeat long strings of swear words.

My cats are a little frustrated though.

CatCursingAnimatedGif

Dude, stop cursing at me.

(If you can’t see the first made-by-Alex animated gif, click over to my website and scroll down.)

Leigh Ann March 12, 2012 1

That’s straight up awesome. I love that you have a Huckle Cat. We’re big Busytown fans here.

Late Enough March 12, 2012 2

Us too. Do you have Netflix Instant? They have the Busytown mysteries and just added Busytown from the 90s (although that’s clearly not what it’s called)

Tracie March 12, 2012 3

Your kids are some kind of name-game cussing geniuses.

I love the animated gif, and since I have no idea how to make one, I’m super impressed with your skills.

Nicole March 12, 2012 4

Ha ha! That’s outstanding. I especially dig the pissed off cats.

Rob R March 12, 2012 5

At least it was only your cats. Good thing you don’t have any family members names Chuck…or do you?

Kate March 12, 2012 6

And we thought Annie was funny.

Erin Margolin March 12, 2012 7

Okay, so my kids are all about rhyming words. Any words. They make up words.

And I do believe we have started with duck and truck many times and ended up with fuck. I haven’t really known how to handle it except to just ignore it and change to another word that doesn’t end in “uck.”

Or, like, what rhymes with #momfail?
LOL
;-)

julie gardner March 12, 2012 8

My favorite part of this (besides the first-ever made-by-Alex animated gif) is picturing you quickly shifting from Huckle to Nugget.

(Because Nugget would be SO much safer. Phew!)

Abby March 12, 2012 9

Ok. I read this post yesterday on my smart phone, and I was impressed with your kitty cat gif. Today I decided to wander over and see if it was equally as impressive on a regular-sized monitor. And holy moly…it’s awesome. I’m so insanely jealous of your gif-making abilities. :)

Late Enough March 12, 2012 10

Thanks! Dude, you have photoshop. You can be making boat loads of these.

Carrie March 12, 2012 11

Haha! This song is pretty much banned from my house. My son’s name is Tucker. Yes, we thought of the ramifications before he was born but the family name won out.