1. Open up computer.
2. Stare at blank page in wordprocessing application.
3. Check Facebook.
4. Toggle back and forth between Facebook and blank page in the hopes that writing has begun without you.
5. Stare out window willing something inspiring like aliens or F. Scott Fitzgerald characters to appear.
6. See only purple flowers and two Blue Jays.
7. Wonder if the Jays are fighting, mating or mocking your ability to write.
8. Rest cheek on fist.
9. Insert defeated look.
10. Check Twitter.
11. Click over and accidentally read the best written article you’ve seen in a long time.
12. Refuse to comment because you may use up all your writing ability trying to be as witty and insightful as the writer.
13. Read the about page of witty writer.
14. Wonder why you aren’t friends.
15. Click over to blank page and type: Friends.
13. Think about Joey and Chandler and why you cared so much if Rachel and that guy whose name you can’t even remember oh yeah, Ross, ever got together.
14. Wish there was a coffee shop in your house.
15. Consider going to a coffee shop for inspiration in the form of muffins.
16. Get up to pee instead.
17. Don’t wash your hands because getting sick could be very inspiring. Also, if readers find out you didn’t wash your hands, no one will steal your stuff when your famous because EW.
18. Think: “Ew” looks weird.
19. Google it only to find Entertainment Weekly filling the entire first page of the search.
20. Examine your toes.
21. Everything looks in order so go back to staring at your computer
22. Regret not writing down the hilarious and poignant 4 a.m. idea for a viral blog and a world-famous novel.
23. Wonder if the hyphen for world-famous is correct. Review tweets on hyphens.
23. Re-read article on how hyphens don’t really have rules but still feel concerned about them.
24. Worry the grammar police of twitter who once mocked you for spelling grammar with an e, as in grammer, will find you again.
25. Decide to shove all your degrees down the grammar police’s throat.
26. Remember that your degrees are in political philosophy and medicine. Also remember that violence is not the answer.
27. Decide to never tweet again.
28. Remember that cowardice isn’t the answer either. Be disappointed.
29. Think: Is the grammar police thinking of me at this exact moment?
30. Get the chills.
31. Check writing page to see if any hyphens have appeared.
32. Delete the word, Friends, because every one of your friends in real life will think it’s a blog post about them but only 3 will have the guts to ask. The rest will get new, non-blogging, friends but still secretly read your blog but never share it with anyone even when the post is really awesome because they are reading it IN SECRET since they now hate you.
33. Realize you do that.
34. Decide to never admit to it.
35. Close blank page on computer for mocking you.
36. Be offended when computer asks if you want to save your writing failure.
37. Save it as Writing Failure for pure irony.
38. Wonder about tainted irony.
39. Laugh at the word taint.
40. Turn on the television and fall asleep.