I FlipFlopped On Valentine’s Day And That Isn’t A Euphemism

in Holidays

valentine_day_hearts_cloud_pink
I made the mistake of rereading my Valentine’s Day post from last year where I hate on the day like she stole my bike.

This Valentine’s, I’m all LET’S LOVE EACH OTHER. {hug} {smooch} {hug}

And I have now discovered the number one reason having a blog sucks — I’m a proven flip-flopper. My own writing and a good Google search is all anyone needs to realized that I can’t be trusted.

By next year, I might attempt to BE another Saint Valentine and assume my place as the patron of bee keepers, fainting, the plague and happy marriages. (When no one knows much about you, I guess you become a patron saint of things via Mad Libs.)

I’ll admit, last year’s post was funnier and more STICK IT TO THE MAN if the man was named Hallmark and showed up with roses and a romantic comedy.

Then again, embracing Valentine’s Day got me this message from my Nana: Oh Alex, I haven’t received roses like that since your grandfather died. I cried when I got them. Thank you.

So I’m pretty sure this year wins no matter how uncool love on Valentine’s Day is.

Plus, I ordered extra cookies in my kids’ Valentine cookie bouquet so I’m going to be in a happy sugar coma in T-minus 5 hours.

Happy Valentine’s Day.

May you never be afraid to change your mind.

PS. Are you having a crappy Valentine’s Day? Well, know this: I would share my cookie with you.

It’s true although I think that loving people comes a little easier when you have awesome people in your life. It’s like that quote by William Gibson: “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by @ssholes.”

So know you are well-loved on this side of the Internet on Valentine’s Day and always. Thanks for not being an @sshole.

Tracie February 14, 2012 1

That quote is all sorts of fabulous, and post has brightened up my Valentine’s Day considerably.

I would share my cookie with you, too. <3

Anne at Always Half Full February 14, 2012 2

Love the quote – so true! My husband and I do not go all out for V Day, never have – as in he does nothing at all and I get him a $0.99 card. But I have always liked it for kids. The Valentine party at school was always my favorite – as a kid and a teacher. And who can’t resist joining in a holiday full of red, pink, and chocolate!
I just hate that people feel all sad and depressed if they are single on Valentine’s Day. You are single the day before and the day after – what does it really matter if it’s on Feb. 14 too?

Megan - Best of Fates February 14, 2012 3

That is SO freaking sweet – now I’m totally bummed I didn’t send my Grandma flowers!

julie gardner February 14, 2012 4

Here’s another reason why I love you:
You aren’t afraid to change your mind.

I like that you’re a flip flopper.
Why? Because at least you pick a side.

I’m an official waffler who always leaves herself an “out” (no euphemism here, either).

When I take a stand, it’s usually with the caveat that “this may work for some of you so don’t hate me” which is my lame attempt to be sweet and supportive of all opinions.

This may be a result of training to be a public school teacher in the 1990-2000s: “Kid, you are SO wrong but I want you to have HIGH SELF ESTEEM!”

The only good thing that comes out of this is that I’ve hedged enough bets to never have to completely eat crow. (Valentine’s Day is the official day of idioms, right?)

Anyway, carry on with your flipping and your flopping and your euphemisms and non.

And as for me, I think sharing love is NEVER a bad idea. I just don’t want to be told when and how to do it. (Maybe a euphemism.)

(Wink.)

Jenn February 14, 2012 5

I am a flip flopper as well so i can totally appreciate your flip floppyness. I too love that quote and your post!

Skye February 14, 2012 6

That is so sweet about your Nana! Now I wish I’d sent flowers to someone who could use the cheer.

Late Enough February 16, 2012 7

You’ll just have to make February 25th the day to bring someone cheer. My address is here: http://www.lateenough.com/contact-me/ Haha. Just kidding I’m already happy on 2/25. Wait, I’m digressing into making no sense. Let’s blame the sugar coma.

Mandy February 14, 2012 8

Yeah…I flip flopped too.

And it’s all your fault.

On the plus side, I’m happily eating candy for breakfast.

Lance February 14, 2012 9

here’s my cookie

and you’re welcome

Late Enough February 16, 2012 10

Cookies for everyone. At least everyone is socially awkward but kinda cool! PS. That’s us.

Bg February 14, 2012 11

William Gibson: “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by @ssholes.” HELLO! Best advice ever :)

Kimberly February 14, 2012 12

Jebus…you mean to tell me that maybe I’m not bipolar…and that maybe I should look at the assholes around me…
Damn it.
I knew I was fecking awesome and they sucked.
Pass me a cookie will ya.
(Ps. totally pulling your chain. I need to write this comment down for when my husband nags about my “moods”)
Happy Valentines Day or otherwise known as cookie eating marathon

Late Enough February 16, 2012 13

I think of it as the first check. Of course, it sucked when I realized that I’m the @sshole bringing out the worst in others and needed to get help myself. Oops.

Lady Jennie February 14, 2012 14

This is such a sweet post. Your Nana …

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Erin February 14, 2012 15

You are well loved over here too, Alex!

Late Enough February 16, 2012 16

Aw, thanks! {group virtual hug}

Walt February 15, 2012 17

The only flip flopping to be done on Valentine’s Day is in the privacy of ones bedroom ;)

I’m currently enjoying a jujyfruit induced coma. Want one? Trade you for a cookie.

MommyK8 February 16, 2012 18

You’re so much nicer to yourself. I call myself a straight up hypocrite. I like flip flopper though. Much nicer. I used to beat myself up about it, but now I embrace it. Besides, I think changing your mind about something, embracing it and admitting you just changed your mind is a powerful thing. Politicians could learn a lot from us :)

Late Enough February 16, 2012 19

That’s why I stopped using the word “hypocrite” — I was tired of it being an insult to change your mind. Who has everything figured out about everything at the first moment they decide how to feel? No one. Maybe we need to just take back the word. HYPOCRITES UNITE!