December 1st is World AIDS Day, and while I enjoy giving Richmond a hard time, people in my city came together in a way that made me cry even though I could only share it through this video.
RVA Remembers will be a public art installation comprised of 400 individuals holding 400 red umbrellas in the shape of what has become the symbol of HIV/AIDS–the red AIDS ribbon. Participants will stand together for 9 1/2 minutes–the length of time it takes for yet one more American to become newly-infected with HIV. (source: rvaremembers)
(If you cannot see the video, click here.)
Every December, Scott and I look for local charities to support along with our national charities. We look forward to giving to the Fan Free Clinic this year. Besides leading the effort to create this amazing outpouring of support and beauty, the FFC works hard to give healthcare access to the underinsured, uninsured and forgotten members of the Greater Richmond community.
If you can give even $5, go, give, and then come back and read about all the things I did this week that had nothing to do with being a good person. Oops.
My Other Hangouts (don’t tell my blog):
- Real Richmond Review: Two Mommies and A Mummy: On Richmondmom.com, I co-write a review on the mummy exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. I make Star Trek references. It’s awesome.
- A Few Of My Favorite Mary Kay Things and A Giveaway: On MakesFunofStuff.com, I review my favorite Mary Kay products and giveaway a $25 gift certificate. Leave a comment there to enter.
- Makes Fun Gift Guide: On MakesFunofStuff.com, we have a great gift guide with good ideas, discount codes and giveaways.
Favorite posts I didn’t read, I mean, write:
- Today call me lucky. Still.: From juliecgardner.com, a moving story of the unexpected paths our lives take and how we change each other. (very compelling)
ttee Failure Confirms What Most Americans Believe About Congress: From The Atlantic, because even I, who tends to hold our government in high esteem, find this Congress to be an embarrassment. (smart)
- Logo Design: Only as Important as Your Company Is Pointless: From cracked.com, when a start-up company destroys the economy. Or tries to create a logo. (funny)