All My Children Want Is A Mailbox To Call Their Own

in Motherhood, My Daughter, My Son

My children are obsessed with mailboxes. Straight up metal boxes with flags. They think that the holy grail might be hidden in one.

Everyday after school, we have to walk down the sidewalk to the school’s mailbox and open and close it. EVERY DAY FOR THE LAST FIVE MONTHS.

The School's Mailbox

Wow, that's amazing! Again!

We’ve discussed what the flag means. If school has mail. If the mailman is coming or going.

At home, my poor kids only have a the door slot. The city-living mailbox.

The deprivation in my home is endless.

This weekend we were grocery shopping (in VEGAS –actually I’m just trying to spice up my weekend) and a Valentine’s Day mailbox was on sale for $2.25. OUR VERY OWN MAILBOX. WITH A FLAG.

Finally all their dreams come true.

Then I remembered a post by Mom Soap on how she wanted more ideas about how to daily express her love to her daughter, and I thought: I can leave my kids LOVE NOTES in the mailbox EVERYDAY. And I began to applaud myself.

I should probably point out that my children cannot really read. However, I CAN read so I got busy write my first note.

Except my son beat me to it.

E: Mama! You have mail!

Now, I’m a sucker for a lovely-dovey thing from my kids. The first time my son brought home artwork for me, I almost made it into a T-shirt. We even framed this one.

My Son's Abstract Art

The bidding begins at $1000. Probably.

(We originally had the The Garden of Earthly Delights in it. And for those of you unfamiliar with this work, there’s a panel for heaven, earth and hell. So it’s not exactly Sesame Street. Maybe a touch of Sponge Bob. There was definitely a lack of pants.)

So I bound over to the mailbox and received my first letter!

A funny note from my son

Um, am I trying out for my mom position?

And then my husband asks: Who ripped up my paperwork for the office?

Oops!  Check your mail honey!

Not to be thrown off the love note path, I write E one of my own love note.

A sweet note to my son

Short. To-the-point. Also, not signed MAMA?

I’ve received no lovey-dovey since. Probably because he has no idea who Alex is. Also, he can only write his name, and Scott has hidden all the rest of the be-a-mama paperwork.

UPDATE: I have still received no lovey-doveys.  I have, however, received three dinosaurs.

andygirl February 7, 2011 1

you’re so modern. referring to yourself by your name instead of mom or mama.

plus? that’s adorable. I remember loving mailboxes as a kid and we did have the old fashioned kind. I kind of miss it.
andygirl recently posted..Song Sunday- Youll Be Mine

Martha February 7, 2011 2

That is freakin’ awesome. And thanks for the mention. I love this idea. Daily love notes are even better when they come by way of their own mail box.

Kathy February 8, 2011 3

That is super cute. Target has smaller pink and I think white mailboxes for a dollar. Maybe you could draw pictures back and forth. Loving a little you signed Alex. Oh and dinosaurs are super cool too I may take those over love notes.
Kathy recently posted..Weekend Rewind

Megan (Best of Fates) February 8, 2011 4

Nobody sends me dinosaurs in the mail anymore.

Clearly I’m losing my touch.
Megan (Best of Fates) recently posted..Miss America- A Fairytale and the USO

KLZ February 8, 2011 5

Aw, if I lived closer, I would send you a dinosaur in your Valentine’s mailbox.

Although now I do really want a dinosaur for Valentine’s Day. Which is problematic. Perhaps I should go watch Jurassic Park.
KLZ recently posted..Words with Friends

Korinna February 8, 2011 6

I remember reading Little Women when I was little and loving how the March sisters and Laurie would leave each other notes and random bits of produce. Sigh. I wanted that.

Also, I have had this sitting in my Amazon Wish List for about forever:

Laura Flickinger February 8, 2011 7

Sounds like fun! And what better way to introduce your child to early literacy? It’s an activity that shows children that we can write down the things we say (speech/print connection). We preschool/Kindergarten teachers LOVE it when kids do this sort of thing at home, because then they’ve got all the “hard-wiring” they need to understand what’s done in school. :)

WTH am I Doing February 8, 2011 8

Kids & mailboxes. My son is obsessed with mail boxes.

Also? I *love* your idea of writing love notes, etc. I’m totally stealing that. I may or may not give you credit. Ahem.

Mommy Nani Booboo February 8, 2011 9

We do this too! Except we don’t have a mailbox… just a box. It’s a treasure box that gets different stuff put in it, like little toys, rocks, flowers, and notes. Sometimes tissues with boogies stuck on it.

Dear Alex,
You’re an awesome mama.
Love,
Jenni Chiu
Mommy Nani Booboo recently posted..I walked into crazy and survived

Kristen Burkley February 8, 2011 10

GREAT idea, I love it! You’ll get mail, don’ worry. so much mail you will need a secret recyling bin in your closet, where you secretly empty it by taking the garbage to a remote location where they can never find it…

Kristeen February 8, 2011 11

Growing up I always wanted a door mail slot, but living 50 miles from where civilization is even known as civilization we had a regular old medal one with a flap. Its funny how kids always want what is strange and different from their own.

I love dinosaurs!
Kristeen recently posted..Feet

Tracie February 8, 2011 12

I bet those dinosaurs were full of love though.

What a great idea.

When I was growing up, we had a metal mailbox with a flag, but the mailman delivered all of our mail to my mom’s office instead, so I never got to use it. That always made me feel a little sad.
Tracie recently posted..Lets Take a Ride in a Cabbage Wagon

LindsJo February 9, 2011 13

I think dinosaurs say love! I guess it depends if there were plant or meat eaters?

My mom used to leave my brother and I little love notes too! In our lunch on our napkin (this didn’t happen a lot as my mom rarely packed our lunch. It was much easier to send us to school with 2 bucks.). The time I remember the most is one summer when I traveled to see family up North for 2 weeks with my dad. I always felt homesick when I went (long story) and my mom knew I’d need a pick me up. When I opened up my suitcase once I got there I found a note for every day I’d be gone. She left me instructions in the first one that I wasn’t to open any of them early, that I had to open them on the day specified. There were encouraging words, scripture, some had candy or money, or little sercies. I’ll definitely be passing that one along to my kids!

Mirela February 9, 2011 14

LOVELY! An absolutely brilliant idea!

the mama bird diaries February 9, 2011 15

I think you’re going to get a real outpouring of love notes on Valentine’s Day.
the mama bird diaries recently posted..the mysterious twin connection

Melissa gay February 12, 2011 16

Love your timing in this one…the comment about deprivation made me laugh out loud.