Our First County Fair In Virginia

in My Daughter, My Son, The South

I grew up in a small town in Connecticut. We had five thousand residences and two police cars. (so if you passed both of them you could speed home!) Our jail was a chair that you were handcuffed to (in case you miscount the police cars). Our high school was combined with the town next to us and even that only got us to 600 kids IN THE ENTIRE SCHOOL.

But most importantly, every summer we had the Carnival. Giant cages spinning wildly in the Ferris Wheel of Death. The Bingo tent full of old people, trolls and me. Cotton candy for two dollars and goldfish brought home to die by the dozens.

So before my kids left for my birthday, we drove to our first southern version of the county fair.

We ate funnel cake. FOR LUNCH.

In our defense we also provided french fries and an Italian sausage slathered in onions and peppers to eat.

My son and his stomach of steel and I went on ride after ride after ride.

That helicopter has taken E to carnival heaven.

Welcome to the funhouse. Full of terrified smiles.

The only way to leave the funhouse. Only awesome for E.

What blog is posting the picture of the mom flashing the county fair?

Out of all the Fords and fire trucks that E could drive...

He picks the hippie lovebug. I think my work here is done.

This is our HAVING FUN face

I'm pretty sure E is screaming too.

Pretty standard fare. Until I tear my eyes away from the whirling lights and sounds and sugar.

And I’m being stared down.  By tattoos of eyeballs.  ONE ON EACH BOOB.  Spirited t-shirts encouraging me to Save a horse! Ride a cowboy! And belt buckets that say: Bad Mom. Which I’m pretty sure she means bad as in good. Or maybe bad as in good luck keeping these cutoff jean shorts from showing you the fun.

But most importantly, you will see Cinderella. Chatting with two vampires.

What do you think the Princess of Shoes discusses with the Princesses of the Night?

And then you will wander into the petting zoo.

The zebra tried to kicked that sheep's butt. Who knew zebras & sheep were mortal enemies?

Do NOT go to this guy's hairdresser.

Seriously the only meat the Queen will eat. I would not want to be in that herd even IF I got to meet Prince William

Not eaten. Yet.

But as you leave the lights and the dust and the missing teeth of the fair behind, you just might find your heart walking in front of you. Holding hands.

The first time they've ever held hands. Which may or may not mean this is one of three hundred pictures

polwig September 7, 2010 1

Oh that is so cute for them to hold hands, I love when my kids do that. We went last year and it was so much fun but crazy too.

TheKitchenWitch September 7, 2010 2

Awesome pic of the most frightening Cinderella I’ve ever seen in my life. Is she the zombie Cinderella?

And did you top that gourmet meal off with a fried Coca-Cola? Yes, such a thing does exist.

KL September 7, 2010 3

Awww….almost a miniature Alex and Scott in the last photo. Funnel cakes? You’re taking me back to my childhood…

The Sweetest September 7, 2010 4

I love this post. I love the fun, the family bonding, and the white trash. But that zebra in a petting zoo is freaking me out.
The Sweetest recently posted..Surrender

Mimi September 7, 2010 5

I would like to hear the story about how you found out that the jail was just a chair you got cuffed to.

Just sayin.

Katie September 7, 2010 6

Cutest post of the year! Looks like you all had fun!
I love the pictures especially the last one– my heart is melting (no seriously please come down here and help me) hehe

Chara September 7, 2010 7

I think this is my favorite “family” blog post (there are so many I had to create a category). I LOVE FAIRS! And you are the coolest for going down that slide…in a skirt…and the fact your wore a skirt to a fair in the first place. Though Cinderella did have you beat fashionably. And on that note, what the what?!

Walt September 7, 2010 8

What a wonderful day. Years from now, these are the days you’ll treasure.
Walt recently posted..Back to Work

Mandy September 7, 2010 9

Gotta love a fair! It looks like you guys had a great time.

I grew up in a slightly smaller town in Washington. Our high school was county-wide and was able to muster 150 – including the 14 poor exchange students who walked around with a look of bewilderment on their faces.
Mandy recently posted..Threshing Bee

Jenni Chiu September 7, 2010 10

That last one…
BEST
PICTURE
EVER.
So good, in fact, it makes me wanna go get knocked up again.

Amy September 8, 2010 11

Cinderella and the vampires just absolutely killed me! It looks like you had so much fun – what a fantastic bday!!
Amy recently posted..Dear Single Friends- I Love You

Desirae June 13, 2012 12

As a proud (white trash lol) southerner who has spent my fair share of time at the carnival, as well as a carny for one crazy summer when I was 17, I absolutely LOVE your interpretation of your first ‘southern carnival’ lol