Let’s deal with one thing right off the bat. I DON’T CARE IF YOU BELIEVE IN GLOBAL WARMING. I don’t recycle out of fear. I don’t compost. (I just don’t yet.) I don’t buy the weird swirly lights because I think that it’ll stop a volcanos in Iceland. I do it because I live ON EARTH. And if you live here too (hi Martian readers. kisskiss. ignore this post.), you can take care of it. This is not a liberal or conservative issue. Not a religious or hippie issue. (Although I’d be MORE than happy to debate the word dominion with you. Bring it.)
Do you clean your home? (Okay not a good example for ME per se, but most people… although possibly not most of my readers either…) Anyway, taking care of the Earth is like cleaning your room. Don’t just tell your kids to do it.
Now that we got that out of the way, let’s talk about lazy ways to care.
- Give $5 to World Wildlife Fund or Nature Conservancy (I view them as GREAT RIVALS that lay to waste to those who dare chose sides. So we give money to both. Shh! Don’t tell.)
- Plant a small garden. In pots even. Plant things you eat. Lettuce. Tomatoes. Cucumbers. Now you can make salad every night for months. Get skinny AND help the Earth! I’m like a freakin’ miracle worker.
- Buy local. Less shipping. More taste. Look at the sticker on your fruit. In my neck of the woods, we have a grocery store that strives to carry local food. (Yes it’s run by hippies. So don’t shower that day. You’ll fit in fine.) Farmer’s markets are great, too. (Although I once saw a vendor sell grocery store fruit. I’m not saying it’s a common phenomenon. And OF COURSE I bought it. Smart people SHOULD be rewarded.)
- Cut your trash in half and double your recycling. It’s not hard. Buy gallon milks instead of cartons. Rinse out the jars and cans while you go. (NEVER. EVER. EVER. leave a peanut butter jar with soap and water in it sitting out all night. The smell alone will kill you. Literally.) We have a cabinet for recycling (and we like to use the area outside the cabinet for overflow. Because we are dirty dirty people.)
- If you already have a bag, don’t take another one from another store. Put it in the bag you have (or brought!). Put the item in your purse. Are the stores PAYING you to be a walking advertisement for them? So say no thank you and stuff it in your bra. (Or briefs)